Monday, October 05, 2009

Pixies live at Glasgow SECC

The SECC was the site of a notorious Pixies gig in 1991 when the stage collapsed after 3 songs. This was their first show at the venue since then. I saw the Pixies at their reunion show during the 2004 T in the Park festival. I also had tickets to see them in Edinburgh in 2005 but I was unable to swap my on-call shift at work so I had to give the tickets away.

On this tour the Pixies are playing all of Doolittle and appropriate B-sides. The support band was Sons & Daughters who have put out a couple of good albums. I missed a bit of their set although I liked what I heard.

The Pixies came on to some old cinema footage. I think it was part of Un chien andalou, an old French surrealist film that Salvador Dali contributed to (confirmed by checking wikipedia and recognising the images). They started with Manta Ray and Weird at my school before playing other B-sides that I didn't recognise.

In the 5 years since the T in the Park show the live force of the Pixies has improved. They were much tighter and the sound was great (unusual for the SECC). They played Doolittle in order (I think) before giving us an encore of the UK surf version of Wave of Mutilation and Into the White.

It might have ended there but Glasgow has enthusiastic crowds. They came back and played another 7 songs with the hall lights up. This second encore was loud and energetic and included Nimrods son, Broken Face and Where is my mind? It was very good and it made me very happy.

The full setlist is below


Dancing The Manta Ray
Bailey's Walk
Weird At My School
Manta Ray
Debaser
Tame
Wave Of Mutilation
I Bleed
Here Comes Your Man
Dead
Monkey Gone To Heaven
Mr Greives
Crackity Jones
La La Love You
No. 13 Baby
There Goes My Gun
Hey
Silver
Gouge Away
Encore:
Wave Of Mutilation (UK Surf)
Into The White
Encore 2:
The Holiday Song
Nimrod's Son
Caribou
Broken Face
Something Against You
Vamos
Isla De Encanta
Where Is My Mind?

I found the setlist at
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pixies/2009/secc-glasgow-scotland-3d7f95b.html#


Addendum

After a comment I did a search to find out who supported the Pixies in 1991 when the stage collapsed and it seems to have been Teenage Fanclub and Cud

5 comments:

Tracy McQue said...

Hi there, a mate and I have got a wager about who the support act was at the SECC in June 1991 when the stage collapsed. Any ideas....??

Cheers. Tracy

drphunk said...

I know a couple of people who were there but I wasn't there myself. According to this page http://www.songkick.com/artists/297809-pixies/gigography?page=40

the support the following night was the real people and cud.

According to this page teenage fanclub supported too

http://www.williampotter.com/cudband/history91_2.html

thanks will be accepted in cash or beer!

Unknown said...

I was there. Tickets sold slowly because the gig took place when there were no students in town (21 June). So they added the up and coming Teenage Fanclub to the bill to boost ticket sales. There was so much mayhem during 'Everything Flows' that the stage was apparently shifted forward. Then Pixies appeared. I had seen them before but that night they were awesome and, two and a half songs later, Kim Deal started to somehow sink downwards into the stage. And then a couple of crash-barriers went. And the lights went up and the show was stopped...

Nyarlathotep said...

Someone broke 3 limbs if i remember right

al said...

Yes, real people, cud and teenage fanclub. Basically 3 bands I wasn't interested in. So gutted when the gig ended. What Dr Phunk missed mentioning was that in 2009 before the 2nd encore, they referred to the 1991 gig and said something like 'your parents would have been there'. Well no, m'fu*ckers we were there. That encore was extra special.