Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Dig - DVD review

I'd been waiting to see this documentary for a while so I was glad when I found out that it was now available on DVD. It had a really limited run in the cinema meaning that I missed it.

Dig is the story of two American alternative rock bands, The dandy warhols and The brian jonestown massacre. I think that these bands have really crap names. Cheap one note jokes. Despite my dislike of their name I do quite like the music of the dandy warhols. I own a few of their CDs, I think their songs are catchy and their lyrics are funny. It goes against all my rock snob instincts but I am a fan.

I'm less keen on BJM. I own their 'best of' CD and it is not in my regular play pile.

My response towards the main characters in these bands is probably the same as my response to their music. BJM are fronted by Anton, a psychotic cartoon version of a rock star. He sings like he is a member of Spacemen 3 and all his songs are perfect xerox copies of your favourite hazy drug drone stoner rock. He systematically violently assaults and alienates everyine he comes into contact with during the 100 minutes of this documentary. I realise that the film has probably been edited to highlight this part of his personality but Anton seems like a very unhappy guy. He just wants to hurt himself.

The dandy warhols are a more earnest bunch. They are corporate whores, signing to a major record label and they feel guilty about it. They continually idolise the BJM despite the fact that anton disses them at everry possible opportunity. They become successful by accident when vodaphone use bohemian like you in an advert in Europe. They are cheezy but they work hard. They seem like nice people.

The film is a bit sensationalist. It never really captures the boredom of being in a band and fighting with people. It makes it all seem like a laugh a minute comedy fist-fight when the reality is probably much more depressing. However it is entertaining and I did enjoy it but I just love music documentaries like this.

I would give it 8.5 out of 10. I will watch it again. And again. If you like this you should check out the ramones 'end of the century' DVD to see the heartbreaking story of one of the most important bands in the world ever. You should also check out the flaming lips'fabulous freaks' DVD for more insanity and real creativity and finally, if you are really hardcore you should see the fugazi 'instrument' DVD to find out about a real independent rock success story (www.dischord.com).

Anyway, I'm typing this when I should be asleep. Sorry about shit spelling and grammar.

Take it easy

Phunk

No comments: