Saturday, June 16, 2007

It's a good life if you don't weaken by Seth

I picked this up in Waterstones at the same time as Exit Wounds. I had heard a lot of good stuff about this book and I was keeping my eyes open for the reissue.

This is very much a personal, alternative comic. I think it is autobiographical. Seth is the main character in the book. He portrays himself as a disaffected loner who longs for a bygone age. He dresses as if he was alive in the 1940s and he becomes obsessed with an obscure cartoonist who published in the New Yorker magazine after the Second World War. He embarks on a quest to find out more about this man. He is so single minded in his quest that his relationship with his girlfriend falls apart.

The art is less polished than exit wounds but the characters are well rounded. I'm gonna check out more books by Seth. You might like this book but if you don't read comics normally I would try something like exit wounds or Hate by Pete Bagge first.

No comments: