Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Boredoms - live at the Glasgow Arches

The Boredoms have been going since 1986. They are one of the most famous noise rock bands in Japan. The Flaming lips played tribute to them on their 'yoshimi battles the pink robots' album. They started out as a hardcore noise punk band before evolving into something a bit more experimantal. I own a couple of the CDs and I think 'vision creation newsun' is probably as good a place to start as any.

Back to the point. When I saw that the Boredoms were playing in Glasgow I ran out to buy tickets.

The support act was another underground noise rock legend; Michael Gira, former frontman of The Swans. He was playing some acoustic songs which were intense but otherwise unexciting. Nick Cave does it better.

I didn't know what to expect from the Boredoms tonight. You never can really. I couldn't see the stage too well at the start but some I believe that some non-musical machine was used to create noise. Sparks flew and weird humming noises were heard. After that there was a drumming frenzy which sounded rather good.

They had a strange percussion instrument on stage. It looked like the fret-boards from several guitars stuck to a central pick up. This was played by one member of the band hitting each fret-board with a drum stick. I suspect that each guitar neck was tuned to a different open chord allowing music to be made. I loved this idea.

They played for about 90 minutes. Bits of it sounded like tribal dance music and bits of it sounded like guitar based noise rock. Some bits just sounded like a Japanese guy with dreadlocks screaming but overall it was fun and I'm glad that I was there. I won't forget the experience and I think I would like to repeat it.

phunk

No comments: