Monday, July 25, 2011

Godspeed you! Black Emperor live at the Arches, Glasgow.

This was the third time that I've seen GY!BE and it was certainly a warmer experience that in December.  I nearly broke my wrist slipping on the ice that day and I'm sure that the temperature in the Barrowlands was well below zero. 

This Arches show was sold out and they would probably have sold out the Barrowlands on the night if the promoters has not changed venue due to slow ticket sales.  The Barrowlands is probably a better venue because of the warmer sound from the wooden walls of the venue.  I always feel that the Arches has a bit of a 'cold' sound and I certainly think this was the case at this show.  It's also slightly uncomfortable standing on a concrete floor for 3 hours.

RM Hubbert was a good support act, more enjoyable in supra-zero conditions.  He tells good stories and plays guitar well.  I look forward to seeing him play again.  If I ever have a dinner party I would consider hiring him.  According to legend he will play at your dinner party for food.  I'm not really someone who has dinner parties or someone who has a house where I could host a dinner party but if I were that person I would perhaps offer Hubbert some gainful employment.

GY!BE gave us a 2 hour set.  I have trouble remembering all the different song titles for Godspeed stuff but I really enjoyed Sleep and Blaze Bailey.  I also liked the unreleased track Armenian.  I have heard that they plan to record/release a new album in the near future and I'm interested in hearing it.  I probably need to pick up a couple of the older records too.

A good show but it would have been better in the Barras.

No comments: