Saturday, March 31, 2018

On the camino by Jason

Jason is a Norwegian comic book artist who lives in France.  I can't remember if I've read any of his books before.  I picked up On the Camino as my partners uncle and aunt have done the walk on a few occasions. Another friend from work did the walk with his brother a few years ago.

I'm not a religious person and I was under the impression that the Camino was a Catholic pilgrimage. Interestingly Jason is not religious and undertakes the Camino for self discovery and personal spiritual reasons.  He details his 800 kilometre walk and the encounters he has over the way.  He identifies himself as a solitary person and he had hoped he would would perhaps open up and talk to others more.  He has been triggered to do the walk by his 50th birthday.

He portrays himself as a talking dog.  He describes the shared dormitories, the discussions about feet and the bedbugs.  He describes the people he met and his day dreams and fantasies along the way.

Jason has a nice clear line art style and this is a good book.  It's a clear read on an interesting topic.

No comments: