Saturday, June 24, 2006

manchester

Back at work this morning after a week on a study course in Manchester. I'd only ever spent one weekend in Manchester before so it was cool to spend some time in a new city although I didn't have much of an opportunity to be a tourist. The course was intense with long hours but generally enjoyable. I might even have learned something. The other people on the course were generally cool although a couple of idiots were in attendance (as always). Basically, I was just happy not to be at work.

I was staying in accommodation at the Manchester Business School which was a bit shit. It was overpriced and the shower in my room was reminicent of the ones in my local swimming pool. It looked like something that would be used as a torture venue in Silence of the lambs.

Despite being busy I did get some time to socialize. I met up with an old school friend and his wife who live nearby. We went to the Trafford centre (which is fucking massive) and ate in an American theme restaurant. The food was actually quite nice. The last time that I had seen them was at their wedding reception so I was glad to have a chance to talk to them in a chilled out atmosphere.

I also met up with another pal who writes a pretty cool blog (www.goldfishnation.blogspot.com) and had a couple of drinks in the Dry Bar on Oldham Street. We chatted about old friends who we miss and she was telling me about a music festival thing she is trying to organise. She (and her mates) are trying to set up a two day event in the Dry Bar to showcase a lot of underground bands from around the country. It sounds really cool and I would urge anyone in the Manchester area to go along and check it out. I'll post more details as I get them.

I was a bit starstruck when I was drinking in the Dry Bar. I'm a music geek and the Dry Bar is integral to the madchester myth. One of the more dramatic scenes in the classic 24 hour party people film shows Shaun Ryder of Happy Mondays and legendary drug intake fame waving a gun about in what I can only assume was a misguided tribute to the American gangsta rap theme. Obviously this is fictional but in real life Shaun Ryder and Liam Gallagher (cock) are both banned.

I've never met Shaun Ryder although I admire his music. I have met Bez and he was cool. I've met Tony Wilson and he was a cock. Liam Gallagher has called me (and some of my pals) 'cunts' but I know that does not make me special. it's just another mildly amusing anecdote that I won't bore you with here.

Anyway, that's where I've been all week. I like the place and I want to go back some time. Bristol is a bit nicer though.

funky

No comments: