Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Nick Oliveri and his Mondo Generator - live at the Glasgow Barfly

I went to this gig with low expectations and I was plesantly surprised. Oliveri was the naked guy with the beard in the Queens of the Stoneage. He played bass for them. He was also a member of Kyuss and the Dwarves (aka 'the most offensive band on SUB POP'). Mondo Generator is his own band so no-one can kick him out. He has a reputation for wildness so this show could have been a shambolic mess. It was actually OK.

Before I talk about the headliners I'd like to talk about the support band Titus Gein. They were pretty good. Essentially an instrumental act, their music is a mix between early period Metallica and Air. They are a local band. My only reservation is that the drummer looks like a guy who went to school with me who is a cock. Except fatter. If the drummer is 28 and from East Kilbride please boycott this band. If not (as I am sure is the case) check out http://www.myspace.com/titusgein My mate thought they were ok but a bit Spinal Tap.

Mondo Generator. Generic hardcore punk. Well played. A few choice QOTSA and Kyuss tracks. Lots of fast bits and swearing. Slow, heavy bits. A rather spiffing version of the popular Black Flag hit 'Jealous Again'. Sweaty, heavy metal crowd jumping about punching each other is a mass act of homoerotic bonding. Mildly entertaining but I've seen it all before. I won't buy any of their records but I would go and see them again if I had nothing better to do.

Very metal crowd. Lots of piercings, facial hair and tattoos that may be job oppotunity restricting in years to come. Very hairy but not 100% male. Things have changed since I wur a lad.

all in all, a pleasant diversion

fnkstr

No comments: