Saturday, January 05, 2019

The time I met Billy Connolly

I met Billy Connolly once, I think in summer 1997.  I was living in a scummy student flat just off of Great Western Road in Glasgow, near the botanic gardens.  I was with two of my pals, on the way to an immunology exam.  It was a sunny afternoon and as we turned the corner we bumped into Connolly coming out of a local chiropractors office.

We were of course delighted to meet him.  I think he was slightly less chuffed to meet us. We all expressed out affection for him.  I'd actually recently seen him do a show at the King's Theatre in Glasgow and I still had the ticket in my wallet.

I asked for an autograph, and the Big Yin, clearly grumpy and wanting to escape started making excuses about not having a pen.  I promptly pulled out a pen and a ticket and a signature was duly obtained.  I still have that ticket somewhere.  It's a treasured possession.  I feel a bit sorry for the bloke as he can't even walk down a street in Glasgow without being annoyed by a bunch of spotty students.

I really enjoyed the Made In Scotland documentaries that have been on over the past couple of weeks.  I've got a pile of his old vinyl LPs from the seventies and a few of his DVDs somewhere.  He's an inspiring guy.

I saw him live again at the Armadillo a few years back.  He was excellent again.  We are lucky to have lived at the same time as him.

No comments: