Monday, May 07, 2012

New Order live at the Usher Hall, Edinburgh

I've been neglecting this blog recently.  I've been busy with work and I've just not felt like writing much.  I've also not been to many gigs recently but New Order are worth writing about.

I was born in 1977 so I remember New Order being on the radio and the TV a lot when I was a kid.  I started to listen to Joy Division when I was 11 or 12 and the crossover between these two great bands made them both seem even more special.  

This was the first time that I've managed to see New Order.  I was meant to be working this weekend so I nearly didn't see them but a fortuitous swap at work went my way so I got a ticket.  The Glasgow show sold out in hours so I had to travel through to Edinburgh.  This did give me a chance to check out the Usher Hall.

The support band played. I stood and waited for New Order.

They started with a bit of Elegia then they went into Crystal. Unfortunately the vocals were mixed down low so we couldn't hear much of what Barney was singing. The band sounded good but they were quiet.  In quick succession we got Regret, Ceremony and Love Vigilantes.  Later on we heard Bizzare Love Triangle, True Faith,The Perfect Kiss and Blue Monday with Temptation finishing the main set. An online look at the Glasgow set lets me know that 1963 was played the night before which is upsetting as it's one of my favourite tracks.

Overall they played well but I wish they'd been a bit louder. The light show was brilliant.  The crowd was middle-aged to a certain extent. Some very big men jumped up and down like teenagers.

They came back and played Transmission and Love will tear us apart for and encore.  Great end to the show.  I went home happy.  I didn't miss Peter Hook.

No comments: