Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Guns 'n' Roses - Live at the SECC Glasgow

I have to admit that I've never been a Guns 'n' Roses fan.  I was about 11 when they first became popular with 'Appetite for Destruction' and I just didn't  like them.  Initially it was because I thought they were too poppy and later because I thought Axl was a twat.  As I grew older I could appreciate some of their songs.  They do have a few good songs but Axl continued to be a twat.

One of my friends wanted to see them.  He had a spare ticket so he asked me to go with him.  I agreed with some trepidation.  At least I would be able to tick another big name off the list of bands to see.  I was also interested in seeing Thin Lizzy (or at least a band that uses the name and songs of Thin Lizzy).

It was a hot day in Glasgow on Friday.  My friend and I went to the SECC at around 6ish to get parked.  A sign on the doors warned that Thin Lizzy would be on at GNR would take the stage at 9:30PM and play for a very long time.  We went for a meal before returning to see Thin Lizzy.  Phil Lynott is irreplaceable and probably embodied Thin Lizzy for most people.  He was missed tonight.  Ricky Warwick made a decent attempt but it really felt like a tribute band. 

Axl and band finally arrived on stage at 1035PM.  By that time the crowd was drunk and tired.  I saw a few very young children who were clearly out well past their bedtimes.  People drifted off at an accelerating rate throughout the 3 hour show. 

Guns 'n' Roses had a strange habit of spoiling their best songs with loud fireworks.  It's a bit stupid to let off a firework that is twice as loud as the band during your most famous song.  It sort of spoils the impact of the music.  It was really annoying. 

Axl had several costume changes and grand pianos were moved around the stage.  A number of models (?strippers) danced at the side of the stage.  Axl disappeared for a bit and the other guys played their own songs.  It was all very boring.

After 33 songs it finished at 1:30AM.  People were running out of the venue by then.  Many fans would have been unable to stay till the end because of a reliance on public transport.  I was just glad to get to my bed.  This could have been a great 80 minute show.  It was an overblown 3 hours.

No comments: