Thursday, February 28, 2008

Control - DVD review

I've been listening to Joy Division since I was about 13 or 14. I first heard them either on a free tape with vox magazine (featuring the Peel Session version of Transmission) or on a punk documentary showing footage of the band on So it goes (playing Transmission again). Basically, I thought Transmission was a great song and I hunted down as much Joy Division stuff as I could.

I read Touching from a Distance by Deborah Curtis when it came out. It painted a bleak picture of the life of Ian Curtis but it didn't detract from the power of his music. Control is based on that book and it is a very serious film. The black-and-white images of Anton Corbijn create a claustrophobic film which is probably appropriate as it tells the story of a 23 year old man with epiepsy who kills himself leaving a one year old daughter. Pretty fucking bleak.

For a comedy film about the life of Ian Curtis check out 24 hour party people by Michael Winterbottom. I've seen it 20 times and I love it.

Control is a good film. The music scenes are well done. I enjoyed it but please don't watch it when you're in a low mood.

No comments: