Sunday, May 04, 2008

In Bruges - film review

I saw something about this film on the BBC2 Culture Show a couple of months back and I made a mental note to catch it. I'm glad that I did. It's the best film that I've seen in ages.

In Bruges is a black comedy that makes you think. Colin Farrell plays a hitman who has made a mistake. He has been sent to Belgium with another hitman to hide out until the fuss dies down. He does not want to be in Belgium. His character is very similar to that of Dougal in the sitcom Father Ted. He has a fascination with dwarves.

Indeed, dwarf abuse is a recurrent theme in this film.

I was pissing myself with laughter for most of this film but it did raise some serious moral questions and it did make me think. What would you do if you had done something unforgivable? Is redemption possible?

This film is funny and serious. You should see it. It also has quality swearing.

No comments: