Sunday, October 19, 2008

No Age live at the Glasgow Art School

This show was part of the Shred Yr Face package tour. It was also a special show by a Scottish music promotion collective called the Tennants Mutual that doesn't charge a booking fee for concert tickets. The other bands that played were Los Campesionos! and Times New Viking, both of whom I was unfamiliar with. I went to see No Age. I've been listening to their two CDs back to back for the past 6 months.

It's been years since I've visited the art school. When I was a student in Glasgow I used to go all the time. I saw Fugazi play there once. I love the place. It's a great venue. I was really looking forward to seeing No Age in such a cool venue.

Times New Viking opened and they were OK. The crowd didn't seem to love them (but the crowd were static for most of the night).

No Age have a great live presence. I describe them as being a bit like the White Stripes playing My Bloody Valentine but that doesn't really cover it. They played most of the songs from Weirdo Rippers and Nouns with at least one new tune. The live sound is good although the vocal mix wasn't great tonight. The sound quality at the gig on the Amoeba Records website is much better.

The crowd didn't seem too into the band which was a shame. When I was a young punk kid going to gigs like this 15 years ago I used to jump about like an idiot. The audience tonight just wanted to look cool. I think this frustrated the band. During the last song the guitarist climbed on top of the speakers and stuck his guitar into the lighting rig above the crowd. He then pulled the guitar cable, dislodging the guitar and sending ti crashing to the ground. A photographer narrowly escaped death. The guitar was not so lucky. It was an expensive Gibson SG model and the headstock was broken right off. Not good.

A good show.

No comments: