Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Fight like Apes - live at King Tuts, Glasgow

I'd heard a couple of songs by this Irish band on the internet. I thought they were OK but not amazing. I'm on holiday this week and a friend noticed that they were playing at King Tuts and tickets were cheap. We decided to go.

The venue wasn't sold out but it was pretty busy for a miserable Tuesday night in Glasgow. Most of the crowd were pretty young so I felt like a pensioner. The support bands were unremarkable based on the little that I heard of them.

Fight Like Apes had a good stage presence. They are interesting to watch and the girl that sings for them is nice to look at. The songs are OK but not memorable. They seem to work best as a stand-up comedy troupe'. After each episode of obstage banter I was filled with a wave of Father Ted like deja vu. I was worried that this might be a bit racist but I discussed it with my Irish mate who went to the gig with me and he confirmed my sentiments.

I don't think I'll buy any of their CDs. I wouldn't listen to them at home. Their music isn't really serious enough for my too-cool-for-school tastes but the stage show was great and I'd probably enjoy seeing them live again.

see
http://www.fightlikeapesmusic.com/
and
http://www.myspace.com/fightlikeapesmusic

No comments: