Wednesday, August 19, 2009

U2 live at Hamden, Glasgow

I'm not a big U2 fan but when one of the guys at work offered me a free ticket to see them at Hamden at about 4pm yesterday I knew it was an opportunity I couldn't miss. I live about 2 miles from the stadium so we were able to walk there from my flat.

We could hear Glasvegas play as we walked down Cathcart Road. We made it into the gig in time to catch their last two songs. I was immediately struck by the stage set and the massive video screens. It was like watching a music video.

I've been to well over 200 gigs in the last 15 years. I've been to loads of festivals but this was the first time that I've been to a proper stadium show. The sound wasn't as bad as I expected. Our seats were ok but the members of U2 still looked like ants on stage. The massive video screens really saved the day.

U2 started with about 5 new songs that I didn't recognize. They played some big hits like 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' with some emotive images from Iran on screen. I enjoyed 'Stuck in a moment you can't get out of' and 'one'. They played for about two hours.

A good night but not really how I like my music. I will always prefer small club gigs but I'm glad that I saw U2.

On re-reading this post I realise that I haven't highlighted how impressive the stage show was. It was very fucking big with lots of lights. It looked like a UFO. It was cool.

I do still prefer small club gigs though.

No comments: