Sunday, February 28, 2010

Girls live at Stereo, Glasgow

Girls are an interesting band who are based in California. The lead bloke is apparently a survivor of some strange religious cult in America. That's probably where he started to listen to the Beach Boys.

The music of Girls is a mix of the Beach Boys, Spacemen 3 and the Jesus and Mary Chain. It's warm, fuzzy, poppy music of the sort that can easily find a place in my heart.

Stereo is a venue that I'm slowly warming to. It's a rocky basement behind Central Station in Glasgow. I've been to a few shows here and initially I didn't like it but it has grown on me. We had a fairly good view of the stage and the sound was better than before.

The support band were a bunch of local kids who tried hard but still have a bit of work to do. Girls look like sex-cult escapees. They played most of the stuff that I'm familiar with from their album and a couple of unfamiliar tracks that are probably B-sides. I guess my favourite track is predictably 'lust for life' but the whole show was worthwhile. The girl I was with liked it too.

No comments: