Saturday, April 17, 2010

Dark Side of the moon by The Flaming Lips (and friends)

I hate pink floyd. I've tried to like them and I just can't. Several years ago (maybe 10) I bought 'Dark side of the moon' but I jst don't like it for some ill-defined reason.

I like the Flaming Lips. I own most of their CDs and I've seen them live several times.

So, does the greatness of the Flaming Lips outweigh the shitness of Pink Floyd? Yes, thankfully. The Lips win out by bringing along Henry Rollins, Peaches and 'baby brother' band Stardeath and the White Dwarves for their version of 'dark side of the moon' which rocks. Freak out guitar, angry Rollins speak and distorted vocals mush together to eradicate the memory of a million 'hi-fideltiy' CD demonstrations using the Pink Floyd version. It's rather good, more than just a curiosity. I've been listening to it on spotify all week and I've listened to it twice since I picked it up in Monorail this morning.

The copy I picked up in Monorail is rather nice. It's on clear 'seafoam green' vinyl with a beautiful sleeve and comes with a free CD copy. An amazing artefact and sadly one of only 500 copies. A more available comercial release is coming out next month.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.