Sunday, November 14, 2010

Les Savy Fav - live in Glasgow Oran Mor

I got into Les Savy Fav pretty late, a few months after 'let's stay friends' was released. I caught up with their back catalogue quickly and I listen to them regularly. They write good songs.

I first saw Les Savy Fav at the Primavera festival in Barcelona. Their stage show at the festival was larger than life and perfectly suited to the arena venue. I was keen to see them in a more intimate venue in Glasgow. Oran Mor was the chosen place.

I have mixed feelings about Oran Mor. I lived in a room that overlooked the old church that became Oran Mor for a year in the mid nineties. The concert venue is the converted basement/crypt of the church. The sound isn't great and you can't easily see the stage from some parts of the room.

Les Savy Fav have an energetic live show. Singer Tim Harrington wore two comedy outfits and spent most of the gig in the crowd. He swung from the lights and spat beer over the crowd. Visually this was great and the rest of the band supplied musical muscle. Unfotunately you just don't hear much of the vocals and I like their songs.

So this was entertaining. I'd have loved it when I was 18 but I probably enjoy the CDs more.

No comments: