Friday, March 25, 2011

Goldie Lookin Chain - live at the Doghouse, Dundee

I have to spend time in Dundee for various reasons. I had nothing to do the other day and my mate suggested going to see Goldie Lookin' Chain at the Doghouse. As my Dundee social diary is fairly empty I thought 'What the fuck'? and went along.

I last saw GLC in 2004 at T in the Park. I find some of their tracks fairly funny but I do not consider them to be high art. A bunch of dick jokes are much better than high art very now and again. It was also a good chance to check out a music venue in Dundee.

Oddly enough, GLC were supported by two local funk-metal bands. I thought funk-metal died with the coming of Oasis in 1995 but I was wrong. The first band was called 'hey esse' and they were OK for a local band. I kinda enjoyed the funk-metal nostalgia thing. The second lot were called 'harry' (I think) and they had a fairly good live sound. They were slightly stylistically mixed up but they could play their instruments. They reminded me of Senser.

GLC are a cabaret act. They have a very big tour bus and 10 on-stage members. Tickets cost 15 quid a head and the venue must take a fair slice of that. I would estimate that maybe 100 people were in the venue and I'm not sure how many bits of merchandise were sold. The economics of touring are fairly fucking scary - difficult to break even.

Anyhow, GLC took the stage to a backing tape - there were hundreds of the fuckers on stage. It took me about 5 minutes to count them cos they were running about all over the place. They played all the hits and the interaction with the crowd was a hit. Personal favourites were 'half man, half machine', 'your mother's got a penis' and 'old ladies'.

I laughed. Fun for Dundee

No comments: