Saturday, August 06, 2011

Captain America - film review

I was actually looking forward to the Captain America film.  Obviously, I'm not American but I've been aware of Captain America since the cartoons were shown on Scottish TV in the early  '80s.  I've really enjoyed some of the recent Captain America comics published over the past 5 years.  The character may seem like a lightening rod for unfortunate yankee jingoism but generally the stories are good.

The film is part of the Avengers sequence, tying in with Iron Man, Thor and the Hulk.  Those films have all been good and Captain America does not let the team down.  It's well made, funny and heart-warming in places. There are lots of knowing nods to the fanboys (like me) with enough straightforward action for the casual viewer. 

The 3D felt a bit tacked on.  3D films really just seem to be an excuse to seperate me from more of my hard earned cash.  This film is probably just as good in 2D.

Well worth a watch.

No comments: