Monday, June 05, 2006

Film review - Paradise Now

I caught this film when I was in Bristol a couple of weeks ago. It's pretty emotionally intense.

This arabic language film is set in the Palestinian territories in Israel. At the start of the film we meet two friends who work in a car repair garage. They seem like regular guys. Likeable. They meet a pretty girl who seems to like the more intelligent of the two friends.

Then they are met by a terrorist co-ordinator who tells them that they have been picked for an operation in Israel. I won't spoil the end of the film but it is powerful.

I think it is important to remember that killing people is wrong. This film makes you empathize with two suicide bombers. It is a powerful film that is very well made. You see the grim reality of life in the occupied territories and you can almost understand why they would want to attack Israel. The film does try to make the case for non-violent action in the form of a few expositional monologues from the pretty girl. While what she says is sensible and rational the use of her character in the film is clumsy. She doesn't have much depth.

I don't think I really needed to see this film. I know that life is shit if you are a Palestinian in Israel. I read newspapers, listen to Radio 4 and watch documentaries. I don't think that the killing of one person by another person can ever be morally justified. Hell, I don't even think that violence can ever be morally justified (outside sport). Sadly, we don't live in disneyland and the world is a violent place. This film does make some important points but I did feel uncomfortable watching it.

I did feel that the religious element of suicide bombing was played down in this film although this might be my own cultural prejudices. I find it hard to believe that anyone would kill themselves in a suicide bombing without having strong religious beliefs (although I would underline the fact that these beliefs are very unconventional) and the young men in this film do not seem to be very devout. I don't know if the director is implying that these men are not religious and motivated mainly by politics and/or depression. I don't know if we are expected to believe that they have been manipulated into carrying out their actions.

I could have lived happily without seeing this film. I feel sorry for anyone who lives in the occupied areas of Palestine/Israel but I also feel that violence/terrorism/murder/rocket attacks/etc. can never be justified.

Thought-provoking

No comments: