Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Sleater-Kinney - live at Bristol Fiddlers

On the last night of my wee Bristol excursion I went to see Sleater-Kinney at a venue called the Fidlers. I had never seen them before and despite owning their last album (the woods) I didn't know much of their material. I had only listened to the album once or twice. I had low expectations.

The support band was pretty sucky. They were called 'help she can't swim' (I think) and they were very young. They shouted and screamed and made noise on their various instruments. I plan to never hear them or see them again.

Sleater-Kinney themselves were an altogether better kettle of fish. They were energetic and aggressive from the start. They have a very fat, muscular guitar sound that reminds me of Zepplein, Sabbath and Hendrix. This is backed up by power-house drumming that reminded me of Keith Moon. I didn't miss bass guitar.

I can't really comment on individual songs because I don't know much of their stuff. I liked a song that I think was called 'my life is like a sunny day' best. I will give their record another listen. It deserves it.

My pals all enjoyed the show too. A good result for 4 people who hadn't heard their music before.

Funky

3 comments:

drphunk said...

Ta - listening to that album again. really should of paid more attention before. I like your blog by the way. Interesting to hear that the drummer thought bristol was the best gig they'd done - it was a great gig - but they were so good on stage that i thought they would be that good every night!

N

drphunk said...

Just randomly looking at this post 5 years later - I totally concur with the the statement made by Julia that readers should go out and buy all the Sleater-Kinney records they can find. I was very lucky to see them when I did and I would love to see them again

drphunk said...

As it happens they are playing Glasgow next year and I have a ticket. I just bot their career spanning 'start together' box set today. It's great