Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Da Vinci Code - film review

This movie wasn't as bad as I thought It would be. I expected it to be unwatchable but I did enjoy it.

I read the book around 18 months ago. I had read The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail years ago so nothing in the story was a big suprise to me. The book is good in a 'mental chewing-gum' way. A good read if you want to empty your mind of any stress.

I felt that Tom Hanks was not the best choice for the main character. Harrison Ford would have been better but that would have made this an Indiana Jones film. Hanks is a bit of a non-entity on screen and the best thing that I can say about him is that he didn't get in the way of the story.

The worst bit about this film are the shoddy flash-back sequences. Hanks enters a lift and wrinkles his face. The camera shakes a bit to represent his mental turmoil. It looks crap and I was trying hard not to laugh in the cinema.

I won't say too much about the story but it is OK. I find the subject matter interesting and I think that many other future viewers will too. The Catholic church wanted a disclaimer to appear before this film reminding viewers that it is fictional. I guess you might be spiritually corrupted if you were to misinterpret the Da Vinci Code as a documentary. You would also be fucking stupid but I guess stranger things happen.

Not totally shit. 6 out of 10.

funk

No comments: