Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Book review - Who censored Roger Rabbit by Greg Wolf

I finally finished reading this out of print cult classic on the train down to Bristol the other week. Who censored Roger Rabbit? is the cult classic pulp paperback that the goundbreaking childhood favourite is based on. I tracked down a copy on ebay after years of scouring the internet.

This 1981 novel is full of great ideas that were screaming out for a movie adaption. However, the film and the book are very different. Most of the familiar characters from the film are present although it is obvious that the darker aspects of their personalities were erased by the hand of disney. The basic plot is the same - Roger is involved in a crime- but the end points of the story are very different. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who is motivated to track down the paperback (although I recommend you all to do it). A word of warning - there is a novelisation of the film by some guy called Martin Noble. I haven't read it but I advise you to bear its existence in mind if you are playing with ebay.

For more read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Censored_Roger_Rabbit?

So, in summary - an enjoyable read. Wish it was in print.

funky

2 comments:

LĂȘA Holubii said...

I WANNA READ IT !!!!

drphunk said...

I hope you find a copy. I'm trying to get a copy of 'who p-p-plugged roger rabbit?' which is a different story.

happy hunting

funky