Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Kevin Smith - why he is cool

Kevin Smith is a hero of mine. I first became aware of him and his work when I was at Glasgow Uni in the mid 1990s. I've always been a media junkie and I was aware of the hype surrounding Clerks on its release in 1994. I can't actually remember the first time that I saw that film but Eddie, one of my hipster nerd pals was a massive fan and he had good taste.

The early films by Kevin Smith appealed because of the pop culture references to comic books and films like Star Wars. The main characters are stoner losers like people I knew. Their lives were not perfect (like everyone). They were bored a lot of the time. Perfect student films.

The other purile star attraction of the films is Jay (and Silent Bob). Jay is a monster. The overgrown adolescent who is 'all about the pussy' and smoking dope. He talks shite like a 14 year old boy and appears to have a similar sex drive. He constantly derides his straight man/partner in crime Silent Bob (played by Smith).

As well as the usual dick/fart jokes his films have tackled serious topics. Chasing Amy is about relationships and sexuality. Dogma is about organised religion and corruption in the catholic church (Smith is a committed catholic and allegedly picketted his own film).

Smith is an actor too. He appears as a recurring character (silent bob) in most of his films and had also had roles in Scary Movie 3 and Daredevil.

Smith also writes comic books. He's actually good at it. He has written several books based on his own films as well as classic characters like Daredevil and Green Arrow. He also writes a blog on his own site www..viewaskew.com and at www.myspace.com/therealkevinsmith . The blog on myspace is particularly good with recent entries including 'On the Perils of Strip Clubs' and serials discussing his relationship with Jason Mewes (Jay) and his wife proving to be enjoyable. He also does stand-up comedy/lectures which are entertaining. The DVD 'an audience with Kevin Smith' captures one of these shows and is worth a watch.

Smith has also helped other indie film makers. His biggest success was as producer of oscar winner 'good will hunting' for mates ben affleck and matt damon. Clerks was also made into a cartoon series.

I realise this has been a gushing load of sycophantic bullshit but I do enjoy the mans work. I don't think it's high art but it's entertaining and it makes me laugh. It is good to see the underdog succed and Smith seems to have done that. Clerks II comes out this year and I can't wait to see it.

Newcomers - try Chasing Amy if you are mature. Try Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back iff you are emotionally crippled.

Phunky

5 comments:

zoe said...

heh - chasing amy's the only mr smith film i've not seen yet... if, when i see it, i like it as much as jay and silent bob, does that mean i'm an emotional cripple but in a mature way? ;)

mushsis said...

I have to agree with you here. loved all his films, with the possible exception of jay and silent bob strike back - but it did raise a few giggles.

clerks is genius.
chasing amy wasn't what I was expecting, but was hugely enjoyable nonetheless.
dogma was superb. (I laughed out loud at your comment about smith allegedly picketting his own film).
a class act.

drphunk said...

I like all of his films in different ways. I guess I'm an emotional cripple in a mature way (as you know zoe)

Dogma was great although I think the special effects were a bit ropey. Smith himself admits that he isn't speilberg. The story about smith picketting himself (and appearing on TV in the pickett line) comes from the 'audience with kevin smith' dvd which you might find in an HMV sale. essential purchase for true geeks.

Glad to see that Smith has plenty of fans

N

Bored@Home said...

cool blog and very well written, I too am a smith fan. he's one of the reasons I want to make films.

visit me
Bored@Home at http://video567.blogspot.com/

Dr Deep, MBChB said...

guess i'm an emotional cripple then! i love mallrats and rewatched clerks recently after many many years. clerk 2 should be cool!