Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Book review - A tale etched in blood and hard black pencil by Christopher Brookmyre

I was busy on my mini-holiday. I managed to read more books in a weekend than I have in the past few months. A tale etched in blood and hard black pencil is the latest blackly humerous crime novel from Chris Brookmyre. I've read all of his books and I think this is one of his better recent efforts.

Brookmyres work appeals to me for several reasons. Usually, they are a fast, easy read. I can normally get through one in a day with little effort. They are well-paced and read like a modern crime movie. His work is often compared to Carl Hiassen. I think Elmore Leonard is another good reference. I also like these books because I recognise the locations. Past novels have had key scenes in Glasgow and at a local supermarket in East Kilbride. This book is mainly set in Paisley. I often feel that I can imagine exactly what Brookmyre was thinking about when I read his books.

I also relate to Brookmyre on a cultural level. I think he is about 8 or 9 years older than me but the experience of a Scottish education that he describes in A tale..... is very similar to my memories of school. The games are the same, the fights are the same, the relationships are the same. He has captured my primary school experience in early '80s small town Scotland (thankfully my life has been free of murder mysteries).

I better actually tell you a bit about the plot of this book. A double murder takes place and two likely suspects are identified. One ends up in a coma and the other contacts an old school friend (now a rich entertainment lawyer in London) for help. This triggers a series of flashbacks that cast light on the murder. The book is actually better than my bland synopsis.

This might be my favourite Brookmyre book. It's a good place to start. Most of them are good but I would leave boilng a frog till last if you want to read them all.

I better mention sick humour. If you don't like sick humour do not read these books.

If you do, have a party

daphunk

for more info go to

www.brookmyre.co.uk

No comments: