Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Low - live in Glasgow

I'd been looking forward to this show for some time. The last Low album (the great destroyer - pictured below) was a constant feature on my stereo when it came out at the start of last year. That album was in a new 'not quiet' direction for the band and served as my introduction to Low. I liked it a lot and tracked down a few of their other albums such as Secret Name (pictured below too).

I met my mates (both low fanatics) in Tuts for dinner before heading to the ABC. Support was from My Latest Novel and was distinctly lacklustre. Their music is indie mish-mash borrowing in a magpie like manner from many sources. I won't be making an effort to hear more of their music.

Low were fucking immense. In the past they had a reputation for being very very quiet but tonight they rocked. Four or five songs from the Great Destroyer appeared including Monkey, Silver rider, on the edge of, california and pissing. We also got Starfire from secret name and Canada from Trust (in a rocking version). Guitars were abused in true Fugazi fashion. At one point the singer even played guitar with his teeth/screamed into his pick-ups. This was an intense show.

Vocal harmonies. The interplay between the voices of the 3 members of the band was just beautiful. I was basically awestruck by how good they were tonight. If I ever get the chance I will run out to see this band again. I'm also going to buy things we lost in the fire as soon as I can (a few songs from that album were in the set tonight).

So what do low sound like? Classic, timeless rock. Pure. Like Nirvana but quiet. Like Joy Division. Like what mogwai wish they could be.

Fucking brilliant.

Listen to the great destroyer. If you don't like it write abusive comments below. I think you might like it.

phunky

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh. Low. Imdeed one of the greatest bands to grace the planet. Saw them touring Secret Name at the old 13th note in May/June 1999 (just finished my honours exams). Fantastic gig - sounds like they're just as good now. Didn't even realise they were in Glasgow or I'd have gone!

drphunk said...

Yeah, great gig. I would have loved to see them at the note but I only really got into them after I heard the great destroyer

N