Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 - Dead mans chest.

I'd been looking forward to this film since I heard that it would be made. I loved the first pirates film. I saw it by accident with my Dad one weekend when he was visiting me in Coventry. I had no real expectations for the film. It could have been very bad, especially when you remember that it is based on a ride at Disney World. As everyone knows, the first film is great and Johnny Depp is brilliant as Jack Sparrow.

The follow-up could never be as good. Dead mans chest is part two of a trilogy. Even if you did not know this fact you could probably guess. The film doesn't really end (without spoiling too much). It has the feel of a TV series like Lost.

The film is too long. It lasts about two and a half hours and a significant proportion of that is padding. A review (in the Sunday Times, I think) was accurate when it described Depp as being 'more like Frankie Howard than Keith Richards' in this film. The electric presence of Captain Jack has been short-circuited.

The story is average. Some of the special effects are cool but the film might be too scary for young kids. It's funny at times but a good editor was needed.

I'll buy the DVD and I'm looking forward to part 3 but only an average effort.

6 outta 10

funky

No comments: