Saturday, August 26, 2006

I want a pet tortoise

When I was a kid we always had pets. I had a cat and a dog. I also had fish at different times. I guess my parents might have been compensating for the fact that I didn't have any brothers or sisters. I liked having pets. Animals are generally cool.

I moved out of my family home (for the first time) about 10 years ago. Since then I've never really been able to own a pet. Why? No money. Rented housing. Flat-mates. Shitty jobs and anti-social hours that would make it cruel to own a pet.

Now, I have money. I still live in rented housing but in a year or two I should be able to buy my own place. I still work shitty hours. That won't change for a few years.

I was in a pet shop today with one of my friends and I saw a tortoise. It looked really cool and as far as I know a tortoise is a low maintenance pet making it a sensible choice for my chaotic lifestyle. I realise that there is probably much more to tortoise ownership than I know about which is why I'm writing this just now. If a tortoise expert does stumble upon this page I would be grateful for any hints or tips. I won't be buying one for a year or so and I plan to do some research first.

Funky

No comments: