Saturday, August 11, 2007

Andy Warhol at the National Gallery of Scotland

I braved the pissing rain and cold of the east coast of Scotland to visit this retrospective of the work of Andy Warhol in Edinburgh. I had to stand in line for 10 minutes getting totally drenched but it was worth it.

I like Andy Warhol because of the Velvet underground/Exploding Plastic Inevitable connection and in many ways I got into the Velvets because of the iconic bananna cover to The velvet underground and Nico. As a teenager I half-read a few books about Warhol including some of his diaries. He was a strange guy but he created strong images.

Everyone knows his soup tins and his Marilyn Munro but this show spotlights many of his less familiar work including his 'multiple elvis' images, his 'stitched photographs' and other portraits of trash cultue icons such as Mick Jagger, Debbie Harry, Grace Jones and Liza Minelli. He was very interested in multiple repeated images and the effect is much better when you see the massive pictures in a big space.

I really liked his paintings for children which he produced in the early '80s. I had not been aware of them in the past and I felt that they had a warmth that is missing from some of his more famous work.

It tool about an hour to walk round and I plan to go back before the show closes in October. It was well worth eight quid and I spent a bit more cash in the gift shop. My only grumble was about some of the annoying national gallery staff who didn't like you carrying a rucksack around the show.

Worth making the effort.

No comments: