Saturday, October 27, 2007

Arcade Fire - Live at Glasgow SECC

The Arcade Fire are a popular band. They have soundtracked many bus journeys for me over the past few years. They managed to pack the SECC tonight with a crowd that ranged in age from 12 to 70 (there was a white-haired old granny dancing in the crowd beside me. As a doctor I would guestimate her age at 68).

The support bands were ok. First support band, Whitelight, were an Arcade Fire clone but that is not a bad thing. I bought their EP which I plan to listen to. Second band Clinic were nothing special. I saw them about 10 years ago at the Barrowlands and they were shite. Today they were inoffensive. My mate is a fan but I couldn't see the attraction.

The stage set for Arcade Fire was impressive. They had a large church organ at the back of the stage and numerous video screens showing footage of preachers mixed with live stuff of the band. At different times up to 10 musicians were playing. Drums were tossed around and one member of the band seems to wish that he was a stunt man as opposed to a musician.

The set was a good mix of both albums with a few oddities thrown in. My personal favourite was the organ-driven version of Kiss Off, one of my favourite Violent Femmes tunes. I hope to find a proper recorded version of that somewhere.

I left the SECC happy. It would have been nice if it was louder but it was ok. I can't wait to hear new music by the Arcade Fire.

No comments: