Thursday, November 15, 2007

I was in the same room as Julian Cope on Monday

Currently on holiday in Bristol. Escaping the cold of Scotland for the cold of the South West. Went to a weird krautrock gig on Monday night in a bar called the Croft. Two German guys were making weird electronic pulsing music. They used to play in Neu!, Kraftwerk and Harmoni. It sounded OK but I was so tired that I couldn't focus on the bands.

The interesting thing about the night was that Julian Cope was DJing. He's a freaky guy. I read his autobiography 'head-on' a few years back. It kicked ass (the book). He was playing heavy sounding rock records most of which I had never heard before and I am unlikely to hear again. It was good shit. He was wearing some sort of German tank commander hat and he just looks like a cartoon character. He also appears to be about 6foot6 tall.

The crowd in this place was weird. Long-haired krautrock fans who all seemed to be on mind altering drugs. My female companion was one of only 5 women in the building. She found it disconcerting.

My life intersected with Julian Cope again, later in the week (to be continued....)

No comments: