Sunday, November 18, 2007

Jello Biafra - live at the Glasgow Arches

Jello Biafra has been a hero of mine since I was a young teenager. I started to listen to the Dead Kennedys when I was about 12 and the songs were important to me. The anti-authority, questioning attitude of this music probably helped shape who I am. I listened to his music every day for several years.

Biafra is a strong character. He is very anti-corporate and anti-government. He has done his best never to 'sell-out' in punk rock terms. Despite recent legal problems with the other Dead Kennedys he has done his best to avoid his music being used in the commercial sector.

Now he works more as a spoken word performer than as a musician. He has recently recorded albums and toured with the Melvins but for the most part he runs his record labels and does 'spoken word' stuff.

'Spoken word' is an unusual concept. It can be funny but it's not really stand up comedy. For Biafra it is more like a lecture as he details the evils of George Bush II and the military industrial complex. My mate (who I forced to attend) described the event as a 'left wing self affirmation event' enjoyed the evening, possibly even more than I. This is a tribute to Biafra's magnetic personality and natural showmanship. Sadly after 3 hours and 15 minutes I couldn't take anymore and I had to go to the pub. I am a 'sell out' but I will never vote for George Bush.

phunky

No comments: