Saturday, August 09, 2008

The Dark Knight - film review

Dark is a good word for this film. It's very serious and very moody. It's about as serious as you can get about a man who dresses up as a giant bat to beat up evil-doers.

I guess it's a good film although I wasn't totally blown away. A lot of my friends loved it and the media have gone wild for it. Heath Ledger has been canonized for his portrayal of the Joker and while he's better than Jack Nicholson was I'm not sure it was really Oscar-winning.

The film is violent and frentic with big special effects. Some of it is rather nasty, especially the Joker's pencil trick. Something about it just didn't work for me. I felt the same about Batman Begins. Christian Bale is a good Batman but I hate the tough-guy gruff voice that he puts on with the bat-suit.

Batman probably works better in comics or cartoons. I guess we'll see another film and Ledger's Joker will be missed. I'd love to see them attempt the Dark Knight Returns after another few films but that is probably unlikely.

No comments: