Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Shellac live at the Glasgow ABC

Shellac are Steve Albini's fun band. He's done his best to be outside the music industry. His influence is obvious in a lot of modern rock music but throughout his career Albini has done his best to avoid selling out and playing the corporate rock game.

I got into Big Black when I was about 12 after hearing Bad Penny on a mix tape. I remember buying Songs about fucking and hiding the LP so my parents wouldn't find it. I bought the early Shellac singles as they came out and I first saw Shellac when they played the Phoenix festival in Stratford-upon-Avon in 1994. That was one of the best rock shows that I've ever seen.

When I was in Mono records earlier this year and I noticed that tickets were on sale for an unadvertised Shellac show I bought a pair immediately. I then persuaded one of my pals to come along and see them with me.

Sunday night was freezing. My mate smoked a cigarette before we went into the venue. As we stood outside an American couple walked up to us. I was chatting to my friend and I said 'pretty fucking baltic, eh?'. The American couple suddenly looked scared. They clearly weren't used to Scottish dialect. As we walked upped to the concert hall my friend told me that we had been standing next to Todd Trainer, the drummer. My pal had done some interned research.

Support came from Aidan Moffat, ex-singer of Arab Strap. It wasn't the best musical experience of my life but he's a good guy. Funny.

Shellac took to a stripped down stage. They were loud and extremely tight. I would say that they have improved over the past 14 years. I didn't recognise much of the material although we did get personal favorites like Wingwalker, Prayer to God and End of Radio. The band are almost like a comedy troupe at times with fake mistakes and Bob Weston hitting out with quality one liners.

After the show Albini and Weston sold T-shirts from the stage. I bought one from Albini and managed to speak to him in a few seconds of almost total nerdgasm. A look of disdain filled his eyes.

To make up for my nerd overdose I went to Nice n Sleazys and tried to chat up a few random women. I found a couple of attractive doom metal fans from Birmingham. I failed to get any numbers but did use some good moves. My married friend felt guilty just by hanging out with me.

A good night. See Shellac if you ever can. Buy their records.

5 comments:

The Bearded Wolf said...

So you're the chap who tried chatting up my girlfriend then?!? she was the attractive doom metal fan in the electric wizard t-shirt. I admire your taste but you have no chance sunshine....

drphunk said...

That would be her. I actually initially went over more cos of her mate with the star tattoo but I figured Birmingham was a wee bit too far away

The Bearded Wolf said...

well we actually live in Glasgow now (not the girl with the star tattoo just me and my g/f). So if you see her about now you'll have to just admire her from afar...!!

drphunk said...

Don't worry about that - she made it very clear that she is taken and it is wrong to mess with another mans missus - however if I ever saw the wee pal with the tattoo I'd probably give it a shot (can't blame a man for trying).

Best wishes to both of you though and I hope you enjoy Glasgow.

Thanks for visiting and reading the blog. It's a wee hobby where I get to spout pish

The Bearded Wolf said...
This comment has been removed by the author.