Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Vaselines live at the Glasgow ABC

I first heard the Vaselines on the B-side of a cassette copy of 'Bleach' by Nirvana. I remember listening to it on a car stereo and thinking 'What the fuck is that?'. I was unaware of the Nirvana connection at that time and I thought that someone was taking the piss.

I was right. The Vaselines were taking the piss. I've gradually managed to understand the joke over the past 16 years. I understand why Kurt Cobain liked them.

The current era is a musical paradise. All my favourite alternative rock bands from the '80s and '90s are reforming and playing in Glasgow. I was keen to see the Vaselines but I thought that they might be shambolic. They were actually rather good.

The support act were a band called Isoceles. I was mildly upset that King Biscuit Time did not appear but Isoceles were a welcome substitute. No-one could accuse them of being original but they were energetic and entertaining in a Franz Ferdinand sort of way.

The Vaselines opened with Son of a Gun and played most of their songs. They had a heavier guitar sound than I expected. Frances McKee and Eugene Kelly paraded their famous comedy double act which was cool. It was a bit freaky to hear Frances McKee (who looks like an old-school Blue Peter presenter) talking about having a 'gang-bang/line up' with the 'attractive young men' in the support band. Disconcerting.

The gig was better than expected.

No comments: