Sunday, December 13, 2009

Depeche Mode live at SECC, Glasgow

When I was younger I used to think Depeche Mode were a bit of a joke. As a child, songs like Master&Servant just made me laugh. More recently I've come to appreciate some of their later work. One of my mates was keen to see them so we bought tickets when they came out.

Sadly we missed most of Soulsavers. We just caught the end of the last song that sounded like it might have been a Spacemen 3 cover. I would have liked to see more.

The crowd was fairly old. I think the average age was over 40. It's nice to feel young again. There were a few younger goth types as well as one bloke who was dressed up as a cast member from Lord of the Rings with those freaky leather wrist guard things that archers wear. Comedy.

Depeche Mode were fairly solid. The sound was good and the light show was brilliant. The set really took off later on with 'I feel you' and 'Enjoy the Silence'. We also got a few Martin Gore solo songs that were better than I would have expected. The encore included 'stripped' and finished with 'Personal Jesus'. All-in-all it was a good show.

I'm not a massive fan of Depeche Mode but i would say that they were much better than U2 at Hampden. The lights were amazing, the sound was good and the bad transvestite dress sense of Martin Gore is a winner every time.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Being a Metal fan I too used to think they were a joke, but that all changed when I heard a song from Ultra on a Magazine compilation some years ago. Saturday was brilliant. Probably the best show I've seen at the SEC since AC/DC in 2000. Great songs, perfect sound - Well worth it.

Steve

drphunk said...

Hi Steve,

Thanks for reading. It was a great show although I think the Pixies show at the SECC in November was a bit better. Depeche Mode clearly influenced Nine Inch Nails and Ministry a fair bit. The live show was class.

I just saw Public Image limited last night and suggest that you check them out if you get a chance. They were great too

Thanks again for reading