Saturday, June 26, 2010

Last man out turn off lights - Christoph Büchel Exhibition at Glasgow Tramway

Because I live right next to the Tramway Theatre in Glasgow I normally have a wander around the different shows and exhibits. I was fairly impressed with 'Last man out turn off lights' an installation by Christoph Büchel.



In a large space the artist has recreated a number of unsettling environments. The rooms look like prisons and barracks. They smell of men. There is a large wrecked aeroplane in the centre of the main hall.

I thought it was great. It made me think of the Lockerbie bombing and the general unpleasantness of life. At the exit of the show there are two parallel bars. A Rangers pub and a Celtic pub. One is warm and inviting while the other is cold and frightening. You decide which is which.

Worth a visit. Recommended.

No comments: