Saturday, June 26, 2010

Nurse With Wound - live at the Glasgow Tramway

I have to admit that I'm fairly unfamiliar with the works of Nurse With Wound but they were playing a gig about 300 metres from my house so I thought I would investigate. Apparently it was their first Scottish gig in a 32 year career. As I missed Throbbing Gristle last year I decided to make an effort today.

The Tramway had organised a full day event to coincide with the NWW show. The event was entitled 'A midsummer's day dream' and consisted of various ambient musical activities. There was a room full of tuned tools and household appliances. This room held my attention for about 30 seconds. There was also a slightly more satisfying collaboration between Vernon&Burns and Lied Music which produced some nice ambient sounds. Some people had brought their (young) babies to the show. The crying of the babies may have added something to the overall 'ambient-ness' of the show although I personally would have avoided subjecting a young baby to scary noises.

I popped home for a bit only to discover that a horrible virus had killed my 5 year old laptop. I may be able to save it but I suspect that it is really fucked. It has served me well.

I managed to catch most of Dr Who before returning to see Nurse With Wound. NWW were pretty good. They had a very nightmarish film show behind them featuring bleeding walls, burning houses, people living underwater and collapsing building. The music was initially quiet, dreamy and sinister before becoming louder, guitary and forceful. There was also a bit of saxophone. Overall I liked it.

I'm not sure if liking Nurse With Wound means that you are pretentious. It probably does. I should probably get a daft haircut now.

If only I had some fucking hair

No comments: