Monday, July 26, 2010

The Alternative Hero by Tim Thornton

This book represents the best 30p (plus postage) that I've spent in some time. I ordered a second-hand copy of 'The alternative hero' by Tim Thornton from amazon after reading a positive review of his second novel 'The death of an unsigned band' in the word magazine.

Thornton has played in several indie bands over the years allowing him to create realistic sketches of the music scene. 'The alternative hero' is similar to Nick Hornby's 'High fidelity'. Both books shine a cruel spotlight on obsessive music fans; men who are basically losers. While I can happily say that I'm not a loser I am obviously a bit of a geek and I own way too many obscure records.

The main character in 'the alternative hero' is Clive, a failed music writer with a dead end job and no girlfriend. One day Clive bumps into Lance, his musical hero. From that point on the story develops into some sort of twisted fucked up love story. It's actually funny, recognisable and entertaining. Well worth 30p. I'm gonna check out Thorntons new book.

No comments: