Wednesday, October 20, 2010

CRYSTAL CASTLES and health, live at ABC Glasgow

My boss gave me a ticket for this gig because he couldn't make it himself. I'm not a massive fan of Crystal Castles. I have the first CD and I enjoy a couple of tracks but I don't listen to them a lot. I'm not the sort of person who turn down a free gig though.

I caught the last few songs by support band Health. I liked what I heard and I'll try to hear more.

The crowd was really young. I guess the average age was probably about 16 or 17, probably because Crystal Castles appeared on Skins (UK teen drama TV show) a couple of years back. I can't otherwise explain the popularity of a band with such a punishing sound.

Crystal Castles were fucking loud. They reminded me of dance clubs in the early90s with a hardcore punk front person. Singer Alice Glass spent a lot of time jumping into the crowd. The volume was immense and the strobe lighting was sickening. The whole experience reminded me of 'short video EEG', a technique used to help diagnosis epilepsy. Fairly mental.

I don't think I'll put the album on my ipod but the show was good. worth seeing

No comments: