Sunday, October 10, 2010

Mudhoney - live at the Arches, Glasgow

I've probably been listening to Mudhoney for about 20 years. They helped define the sound of grunge. They are clearly music fans and they like the sort of music that I like. The have had a second wind since Matt Lukin left in 1999 and they continue to release decent albums.

I last saw Mudhoney in the Arches in 1996. I was blind drunk at that show and I don't remember much of it.

There were two support acts tonight. I don't remember the name of the first guy but he was good - a singer/songwriter type from Seattle. When I remember his name I'll check out some of his stuff. Unnatural Helpers (another sub pop band) were the second support - they were entertaining.

Mudhoney are a stronger live machine now than they were 15 years ago. Mark Arm looks as young as ever, a Dorian Gray of grunge, frozen in smack. He has apparently kicked the habit in recent years and he is now usefully employed at Sub Pop records when Mudhoney are not on tour.

The set drew from most of Mudhoney's 20 year career. We heard most of Superfuzz Bigmuff as well as key tracks from the rest of their catalogue. Touch me I'm sick made an appearance in the middle of the set. Towards the end of the show Mark put down his guitar and delivered his best Iggy impression, jumping into the crowd and singing his lungs out. They finally finished with covers of the Dick's 'hate the police' (which Mudhoney must have played many more times than the Dicks) and an accidently prolonged version of 'Fix me' by Black Flag. Excellent.

It was difficult to decide on seeing Mudhoney last night. Another of my favourite bands, No Age, were playing a street away. I'm happy that I made the right choice. Mudhoney were great. I hope I get to see them again.

22 years old and still going strong.

No comments: