Monday, October 31, 2011

The Adventures of Tintin - movie review

Tintin is another comic book that I read a lot as a child.  I learned to read with Tintin and Asterix books.  As an adult I guess that I enjoy the Asterix books a bit more.  Some of the early Tintin books were a bit racist which made them less readable. 

Despite these misgivings I was keen to see the film.  It has a great pedigree, directed by Steven Speilberg with a script by modern British writers such as Edgar Wright, Steven Moffat and Joe Cornish.  The voice talent was impressive too with strong turns from Jamie Bell as Tintin and Andy Serkis as Captain Haddock.

The look of the film is consistent with the comics.  The CGI motion capture is unobtrusive and not too much like a computer game.  The characters look like their comic book ancestors while moving like people.

The story is OK, mixing elements from several of the Tintin books.  It works for the most part.  I was slightly annoyed by some deviations from the original stories but on the whole I enjoyed it.  I might even go and see this again in the cinema.

No comments: