Monday, January 11, 2016

RIP David Bowie

I was probably at Uni before I properly got into David Bowie.  I liked Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground more when I was at school and I was more into Iggy Pop.  I had heard most of the big hits on TV and the radio but in the '80s he was doing stuff with Queen and I really hated Queen.  I was missing the point.

I started to get things more when I picked up a tape of Ziggy Stardust.  It was more rocky and urgent. I found myself coming back to it again and again.  Over the past 20 years I've explored most, if not all, of his back catalogue.  I've never really got into Tin Machine.

His early stuff is really fucking good, as I'm sure you know.  Between 1967 and 1980 I don't think he put a foot wrong musically.  Maybe he could have taken a few less drugs and stuff like that but he made great music.  He pushed the boundaries of art and rock.

His output over the past few years has been great too.  Unexpected single 'where are we now?' and the LCD Soundsystem remix of 'love is lost' were very strong.  The song 'i'm afraid of Americans' that came out in 1997 featured Trent Reznor on the v1 version and is better than many Nine Inch Nails tracks.

David Bowie left us hidden gems.  I hope to discover more of them over the next few years and I hope you guys do too.

RIP

2 comments:

George Q said...

Don't feel bad, dude, I don't think David Bowie got Tin Machine either. :-)

As you say he left a pretty large oeuvre and there's a lot of hidden treasures in there. I'm quite fond of the albums "...Hours" and "Diamond Dogs".

drphunk said...

One positive thing is that I have a lot of Bowie still to listen to. I'm looking forward to a follow-up to the 5 years box set