Sunday, September 10, 2017

A confederacy of dunces by John Kennedy Toole

I finally got round to reading A confederacy of dunces, finishing it yesterday, on my birthday, on a plane home from Italy.  It's a great book and it's easy to see why it won a posthumous Pulitzer prize for John Kennedy Toole.  It's also easy to see why the book is considered to be unfilmable.  The horror of Ignatius J Reilly would be difficult to capture in the flesh.

I didn't really know what to expect when I picked up the book.  For some reason I thought it was meant to be a story about a newspaperman but the actual story of an arrogant fat slob causing chaos in New Orleans was equally appealing.  Ignatius is a brilliant character, prefiguring both Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons and internet trolls by several decades.

It's a crazy ride with a constant feeling that the piss is being taken.  I'm glad I finally managed to read it and I would recommend glancing at it at some time.

No comments: