Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Sigur Ros live at the Glasgow Clyde Auditorium

This was the third time that I've seen Sigur Ros and probably the most enjoyable.  A lot of my enjoyment was because of the venue, the excellent 'Armadillo' at the SEC in Glasgow.  Watching a chilled out band with great lights is much better in a comfy seat and it's always a bonus if there are no drunk twats about to pour beer over you.

I first saw Sigur Ros in 1999 supporting Godspeed You Black Emperor at the Garage.  I remember Jonsi, the singer, using the violin bow on the guitar at that point and having a great voice.  I remember watching from the balcony at the back of the Garage but I never thought the band were destined for greatness or (moderate) superstardom.

I didn't pay much attention to Sigur Ros after that until I was visiting friends in Bristol and I went to a dinner party (very middle class) and Sigur Ros was being played in the background.  I think it was the brackets album but I'm not sure.  After that I bought up a few of their CDs and got up to speed.

I saw them live again in the SECC about 4 years back.  The old halls at the SECC have very bad sound and generally are not  great venues.  My main memories of the show revolve around trying to find friends and not having anywhere comfortable to sit.

On this occasion all my physical needs in terms of seating were met.  I didn't really recognise much of the material in the set but the sheer sound and spectacle of the show was enough.  The lights were amongst the best that I have seen.  I understand that the most recent Sigur Ros album had a bit of a metal edge to it and this was certainly evident.

If you get a chance to see Sigur Ros on this tour take it.  You will enjoy it.  They are playing some shows in Iceland around New Year and I am very tempted to fly up (I am fond of Iceland).  They seem to be at the height of their powers just now.

No comments: