Friday, July 08, 2005

Nine Inch Nails live in Glasgow

I've just been to see Nine Inch Nails in Glasgow at the Barrowlands. I've seen the band twice before, six years ago at the Brixton Academy in London and eleven years ago in Glasgow.

It was a sold-out show tonight. The crowd was hot, sweaty and loud. The support act was Saul Williams, a political rapper who was OK but nothing special. It was nice of him to apologise for george bush but I don't think I'll look for any of his CDs in the immediate future.

The headliners came on at 9PM and played for almost two hours. The older songs such as terrible lie, wish, head like a hole and hurt stood out from the more samey new material. The new album is good but the old songs had more passion. The band jumped around and smashed guitars as you would expect from nine inch nails. Trent Reznor looks as if he has spent some time in the gym recently. He used to be such a spindly youth.

All in all it was a good show. I enjoyed the 1999 show and the 1994 show more but it was still a good night out. I didn't buy a t-shirt because they were all expensive and very black but I would watch them again.

No comments: