Monday, December 25, 2006

James Brown is dead

James Brown, the godfather of soul, died today at the age of 73 from pneumonia.

His music changed the world.

I was lucky enough to see him play live once at the Clyde Auditorium in Glasgow in around 1997 or 1998. The tickets were expensive and I worked out that I had stacked shelves in Sommerfield for 11 hours to pay for the ticket. The show was spectacular and featured 13 dancing girls in different stages of undress as well as a magician. Brown jumped about on stage like a man possessed, screaming out his hit songs, dropping to his knees, playing drums and keyboards. I loved it.

He made many great records over the years including 'live at the apollo', 'black caesar' and 'the big payback'. Music would not be the same without him.

He did bad things in his life too. I hope the good things he did outweigh the bad in the grand scheme of things.

RIP

Another cool dead guy

funky

No comments: