Sunday, April 08, 2007

The interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld

The fact that this book was recommended by 'Richard and Judy's book club' did not put me off too much. The sepia tinged photograph on the cover and the blurb on the back describing this story of Sigmund Freud becoming involved in a murder investigation in turn of the century New York was enough to make me part with my cash and give this book a chance.

The book is an easy read in the stlye of the Da Vinci Code. It weaves historical figures including Freud and Jung with a fictional murderer. Jed Rubenfeld, the author, is a Professor of Law at Yale University and once wrote an undergraduate thesis on Freud so he knows his subject. Case histories from the published works of Freud are adapted into the story to good effect.

I enjoyed the book and it has encouraged me to go out and pick up copies of 'Freud for dummies' and 'Introducing Jung' which I am now enjoying. I can see this book becoming a shitty hollywood blockbuster at some point.

A good book for a beach.

No comments: